Saturday, July 6, 2013

Trolley ride which might be my last

So, while my sister got her hair cut it was suggested to me that I take the kids on the Oregon City Trolley ride.  The stop was right by the salon and the kids loved taking the trolley in the past.  Even though it was a bit cold, the adventure sounded like it needed to be added and then easily crossed off my bucket list.  Supposedly, these were suppose to be filled with historical facts, kid friendly drivers, and many great photo opportunities.  Little did I know how ill-prepared I was.
Waiting for the trolley.

According to the trolley schedule (at the stop) we had ten minutes to wait......that turned into almost an hour.  And when the trolley finally came, I had my camera ready to capture the first moment they stepped onto this 'wonderful' adventure.  At first I heard yelling from the driver...I thought...he must be joking.  Why would he be yelling for us to hurry up?  But then he yelled again and we all got scared...hurried on and sat in the back.

Trying to figure the maps.


We were the only ones on the trolley.  And I kept waiting for all the interesting historical facts from the driver.  None......First stop:  The driver asked me where I wanted to go.  I told him I didn't know...(I thought this was a historical tour).  Then he told me that I had to choose where to get off.  But since I didn't know the area, I didn't really have a clue to what he was saying.  I just nodded my head and said 'ok'...wasn't going to risk getting yelled at again.
Second stop:  Over looking the Falls.

In front of the Trolley.
 So, during the third stop I was waiting for the trolley to take off again.  At the beginning of the route there was a McDonalds, and I thought we would just take the 'tour' again and get off for lunch.  The driver decided to show the kids some magic tricks and we waited.  My sister called and I told her my plan.  Well, the driver did not like what he heard and reminded me again that I had to choose between this stop or the last stop.  He had to go to lunch and did not have time to go the same route again for another hour.

I was shocked.....me with two kids....a mile and a half from the salon.....at lunchtime.....and not knowing the area?  And all he could think about was his lunch?

So, we got off and started walking for the second part of our adventure....with Tía trying not to cry.

Down an elevator.  Elevator man did lift my spirits.

The AMAZING cupcake place...so Tía could mentally regroup.

Found lunch at McMenamins.  Chocolate milk and a Shirley Temple to save the day!

Tía so happy to have survived!
 The lighting was so wonderful at our table that I couldn't stop taking pictures of my sweet sobrino.





PB&J arrived!
McMenamins  had amazing service!  My sister got my message and came to the restaurant as soon as her hair was done.  And we headed home for some much needed naps.  She was shocked to hear the horror of our ride and vowed to call with a complaint.  As I write this blog and look at these pictures...these kids are such a blessing.  Kudos to my sister, her husband, and both sets of grandparents who have molded these kids to be such a joy in trying circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment