Thursday, July 19, 2012

19th of July...Thursday

I am tired and not feeling all that great.  So, I'm going to write this one in English. Went early to the city to buy some Spanish supplies in the city of San Jose.  I also needed a gift for Marleny, who made me all those empanadas.  Afterwards, I went to my house to drop off the stuff and headed to school.  Had class......can not wait to teach back at Shelton.....and talked with some students after class.  I was going with Alicia to Hazel's house....my old tica hermana for cafecito.  Once we were in the car, we stopped at a bread place and Hazel asked me to buy some bread.  I was really confused...what kind of bread to I get?  Sweet, pizza, cheese, plain, French, pastries, cookies, wheat, white, doughnuts, focacia......you get the point.  So Denisia and I went into the bread store and I am still confused...usually the host family provides this stuff.  So, Denisia and I just buy a whole bunch of different things.  When we got back in the car....aparently I was only suppose to look at the bread....I am still confused.
Cafecito was fun...I love just kicking back and laughing with my old tica family.  I got home around 6:30 PM to have dinner with the family at 7.  I did skype with dad for a little bit....(thank you for your words of encouragement) and then homework until 11.

When I first came to this school, it was "Pre-Shelton".  Had only been teaching for 2 years and I taught P.E.  I did not understand what 'appropriate' teaching really meant to me.  I know this is an intensive course and we do not have a lot of time to learn the information.  But if the teachers would only have the desire to seek out other learning strategies...other than 'do work....and I will tell you when you are wrong',  I would feel more encouraged.  The teaching strategies have not changed much since 10 years ago. 
When we were kids, learning was about repeating and using many different hands on approaches.  And when a child falls, we do not laugh at them every time they fall.  We are caring, sympathetic, and offer ways to help the child.  Why should the classroom be different...no matter what the age.  I can not wait to get back to Shelton and offer direct teaching experiences, different teaching strategies, and hope to the ones that feel inadequate in the classroom.

 A woman got stuck in the bathroom on the second floor.  This guy was trying to help her out......had to go to class....I hope she got out OK.

 Us waiting for Hazel.  Alex, Alex, Denisia, Alicia, Brownie (dog).

Cafecito food.

 An interesting tree in Hazel's front yard.

Diana, Hazel, Alex, and Daniella....Daniella's birthday is this Sunday...she was only a year old when I first came to Costa Rica.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning! Sorry we didn't get a chance to skype the other day. Is there a usual time that works for you? Maybe we could schedule something for next week. We're packing up to go camping with our small group this weekend. We found a campsite up near Mt. Hood called Trillium Lake. It's only in the high 60's during the day and 40's at night so I'm really hoping it's not too cold. There are supposed to be some good hikes around the lake so hopefully the kids hang in there. Ian's trying to pack his potty seat in his backpack. :) Spiderman sounds like fun! Did you understand most of it? Mom and I saw the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night and it was really good. It definitely makes you want to travel there. So beautiful. I hope you make it to the beach again. It sounds like a good adventure. The kids loved their postcards except Ian thinks you are living in a volcano now. :) Ok, love and miss you!

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see pictures on your blog! How much fun! Busy weekend and now I have to get my mind focused back on Spanish. Just have to make it one more week of school and then I get to explore for one weekend! Can not wait!

      Delete