Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Waterfall Hike #1

I drove on this crazy gravel road for about 6 miles till I came to a gate.  In reality, I had missed my turn off road 5 miles back....but was looking for a gate and I found one.  I got my water, mace, emergency snack, phone and camera and I was off to find this amazing waterfall.


I turned the first corner and there was a coyote jogging down the trail....luckily it was traveling away from me....and he went into the woods before I could get a picture.  Then I heard gun shots in the background with gun shot shells on the ground.
Decided I was not in the right place for a waterfall.

 I headed back to my car to find a different waterfall.
Yes....bathrooms!

Beautiful!

And refreshing....

But this was not the waterfall hiking experience I had heard about; a scary steep gravel road and the hiking trail so steep you need a rope to get up and down the trail.  So, I asked some people if they had any ideas....they were not helpful.  I was so mad at myself that I was extremely determined (some might say 'passionate') to find this difficult road.
Yeah!!!  The hidden marker!


Uh-ho.....the steep scary gravel road.

 I tried going down the scary road but my gut instinct was telling me to turn around.....the biggest mistake of the day; but maybe the luckiest....

Yep....my car got stuck in the middle of the road.

My tires kept spinning out in the loose gravel.

Don't have a picture of my car stuck because I was a little preoccupied...

I put big rocks behind my back tires....

Because this was what awaited as my tires came dangerously close to the edge...

I wanted to run for help....but it was more like I walked up a very steep and gravelly road.  Two very strong men came to push my car out of the gravel!  Yeah....God is awesome either way....crashing down a mountain hill or the ability to get to a safe spot....but I did feel truly grateful that his will was for my car to not slide backwards down the steep mountain side.

Oh...and he didn't stop there!

This kind gentleman gave me a lift to the awaited gate below so I could start my waterfall hike.  God knows me so well.  Any female that grew up loving 'Grease 2' knows what I am talking about.  The best motorcycle ride I have had as a responsible adult.

Once I was on the trail, there were numerous sections when you needed the assistance of a rope.  





And then you have to walk along the side of the river to get to the waterfall.

Very shortly I came to a beautiful waterfall that reminded me of my river walk in Costa Rica.  It was just breath taking!  And this time I did not drop my camera in the water.

 People were swimming, building rock sculptures, taking pictures and even fishing.


Mysterious cave

I was nervous about the time so I didn't get to stay long.  I didn't know how long it was going to take me walk up the 2.5 miles back to my car.

I made it back by 5PM, so I had plenty of time to make it home to call my friends and family; once I got cell service...and of course not while I was driving........that would be unsafe.
A little Mt. Hood action.
My car was so dirty!


A little love kiss from one of the big rocks on the road.


Also, a little reminder of how blessed I truly am!

















No comments:

Post a Comment