Sunday, November 17, 2013

Teaching stem changing verbs....Yikes

I was nervous about this lesson...but my students learned it and I couldn't have been more proud of them!  And I am relieved...because if I teach Spanish 2 again...then I know what works.

First..... they got this cornell note chart.

Second......we made different color note cards to group the verbs according to their stem change.  This was also to help them memorize the definitions.  (This was for my visual learners.)

Third...don't have a picture of it.  I made cornell notes of each verb conjugated with their stem change in bold print.  (This was for the students who get over whelmed with a lot of words on a page.)

Fourth....I recorded each Cornell page to a beat and saved it as an MP3 format.  Each group of stem change verbs got a different rhythm.  So, I recorded the conjugation of the e-ie verbs to a club beat.  The o-ue verbs to a western beat....so forth.  (This was for my auditory learners)

Fifth....I made them each a Rapid Word Chart according to the subject pronoun.  We said these every day...this made an amazing difference.
Yo form

Tú form

Él, ella, Ud. form

Nosotros form

Ellos, Ellas, Ustedes form
Sixth.....I made them a smart sheet with all the verbs they needed to know for the lesson.  I found that the cornell notes were too confusing.  There were too many papers and too many groups.  My students were having a hard time finding the specific verbs they needed.
Notice how we still color coordinate with the note cards.
 Seventh.....we used the Smart sheet when we filled out the workbook pages.





Lastly....which I think I have already posted.  We used the Smart sheet to write sentences on the tables.  By the time the test came around...they had these verbs down.  I'm so proud of my students. 

This was a very time consuming lesson.  One of my students finally said, "Spanish gives me a headache".   So glad he never had my Spanish 2 teacher!  She made the class only speak in Spanish, needless to say...I never talked in class...therefore never learned.  Well, I shouldn't say that...I did learn 'La vaca fea', which is what I probably thought of my teacher at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment