Sunday, November 3, 2013

My first 'Day of the Dead' celebration

Spanish II this year is kind of hard with all these 'go verbs' and 'boot verbs'.  So, I decided to make "Day of the Dead' a little more of a production than last year.

It started with me buying molds to make the sugar and chocolate skulls.




Then I needed to go to the Latin Cultural Center in Dallas because they were having a free class on making your own sugar skull.  Well, I get there and there are only children decorating their skulls.  I asked if I could design a skull since I have never been able to do that and secondly, it would be perfect to bring to my Spanish class.  Well, I was heart broken when they told me it was only for kids.  I took these pictures on my way out.....


Then I decided to go to the Bazar on Harry Hines to find the skulls....since my confidence level was pretty low.  Not only did I find the skulls....I got to speak Spanish to the vender!  SCORE!
Next was making the chocolate skull molds!  Super Cute!
And then packaging 60 of them for students, teachers, maintenance, college classmates and family.

And with time to spare, I decided to make a floral head piece to go with the mask.
The final product.....an amazing day filled with too much sugar and kids wondering who was the crazy teacher dressed in a mask with too many flowers in her hair.....
This one is definitely going in the year book!






No comments:

Post a Comment