Sunday, November 17, 2013

Teaching clothing in Spanish

I loved teaching this chapter!  So many hands on teaching ideas.  This lesson went way to fast and I hope the kids' presentations this coming week bring lots of smiles and laughs to the classroom.
Nuestros talcones altos

 First, I ordered clip on name tags.  Then I put a Spanish clothing item on each note card. I tried to color coordinate the clothes by a different color marker:  Blue; male, Red; female, Brown; fall/winter, Green; summer/spring, Black; for all genders/seasons.  But that got really confusing after awhile.
Clipped the Spanish names to the items of clothing I was teaching.

Tried to get as many students involved.

Next I brought in a suitcase of clothes.  The students had to pack for me, by saying the clothes in Spanish, and then finding the clothes in my suitcase.  I took two different trips.  For the summer items I was going to Cancun and for the winter items I was going to Antarctica.
This class didn't get me 'pantalones cortos' or 'una camiseta' for my trip to Cancun.

This class didn't give me 'algunos pantalones cortos' but 'una playera'?....¿verdad?

This class didn't give me 'algunos zapatos' for my trip to Antarctica.

Yay!...This class gave me what I needed for my trip to Cancun...finally.

I didn't even get 'los pantalones'...they said I should be happy they gave me 'un abrigo'.

Now this week they are suppose to bring in a suitcase for their own trip.  I gave them a list of 33 items that they could choose from.  When I brought in my suitcase I made sure I had all the items in my suitcase so the students could get a visual.  After we reviewed all the items with the visuals, a comment was made in my class (said with amazement)...Senorita....you packed all the items on the list!  I love it when my preparedness amazes some of my students.

Other teaching strategies:  Videos: (Billy La Bufunda) and the Lego man going shopping, Smartboard doll cutouts and you have to put the clothing on the figure, and People magazine photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment