Monday, April 6, 2015

A Big Moving Trip

So I decided to make the plunge and move the majority of my stuff to Oregon so I could put my house on the market.  I looked into which moving trucks had the cheapest price, got out my US paper map....(kinesthetic learner).....and started planning my trip.

Mother Nature did not agree with my timing and wanted me to change my plans.  She sent an snow/ice storm to Dallas on the day I was suppose to pack the truck.  I said 'In your face!'.....cried....gave in...and left two days later.

 I got a 16 foot truck for the same price as the 10 foot truck!  Yeah...for Budget!
 My uncles and cousins came on a snowy Saturday to help me load the truck.  I wish I would have packed more but hind-sight is always wonderful.
 Decided to leave at 3 AM on a Sunday...my goal was to get to Oregon on Tuesday.
Here Jack is checking out our new living quarters for the next couple days.
 Getting out of Dallas was a little tricky because people didn't remember that the overpasses are still icy!  So I passed through many small wrecks on my way to OK.
 Jack finding his resting spot.
 OK must of had terrible traffic the day before because I saw many tow trucks pulling abandoned cars out of the snow.
 The snow was so bright that I had to buy sun glasses......the light was reflecting off of all the snow.
 By 3 PM I was tired and decided to take a little nap at a rest stop.  I fit perfectly across the three seats.
 And the eye mask my cousin got me for my birthday worked perfect for a little shut eye.
 I made it to Cheyenne, WY at Midnight.
 Jack got a 'time out'.....since he walked in his food and water dish...spilling most of it on me and the floor!
 Spending the night in Cheyenne WY at a rest stop....it was COLD....19 degrees!  I had on layers of clothing, a sleeping bag, a cat, and hand warmers.
Going to the bathroom posed a problem....because it was so cold and the bathroom was too far away.....decided to just use the litter box. 
 Woke up one time to start the truck...just to make sure it would start and I needed some heat.
 Woke up again around 7 and was ready for a new day....it was going to be a beautiful trip....listening to some great music, smooth sailing from here.....I've driven I-80 so many times...we are like old friends.
Sent Dad this picture so he wouldn't worry about me.....what storm?
 OH, This Snow Storm.....
 Where I am the only one on the road, going 20 miles per hour, de-icing my windshield, and mentally making a game plan in case I slide off the road.
 Yay.....Finally another vehicle!
 Mother Nature trying to kick my butt....she must have forgotten the determination of a woman in need of a good sermon.
 Finally, I saw SUN!!!!!  So happy!
And can actually go the speed limit!

 Made it to OR Tuesday night...but not in enough time to make it home.  Was going to have to sleep one more night in the truck.  Not excited but mentally too tired to cry.
 Sunny, beautiful and so relieved to be home!  Wednesday at noon I finally made it to open arms and a play date with a couple pirates.
Got my stuff unpack and now I am ready for round two!  This time I am going to let someone else move the rest of my stuff.

1 comment: