Monday, January 20, 2014

Color coding verb conjugation in Spanish 1

The best teaching advice I received while learning to teach Spanish was the concept of color coding verb conjugation.  It as been invaluable to the success of my students and the starting point to the endless amount of teaching strategy ideas waiting to be discovered.
Each student made a set to study for their midterm exam.

'Vosotros' form was not on the midterm.  So we wrote the infinitive on the purple paint card.
Remember, I work at a school where learning a language is very difficult for many of my students.  Letters get mixed up, words look the same, definitions are confusing, they hear different sounds, or have difficulty expressing what meanings are in their heads.  So, imagine the frustrations these students have when testing states that they have above average IQ's!  They know they are smart but yet the difficulty with language is sometimes enough to wear a student down. 

Last week in Spanish I we took a quiz over newly taught information over the -er and -ir verb endings.  Notice how this student uses the colors to underline the subject in the sentence to match the verb endings.  Happiness to my eyes and a comfort to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment