Thursday, August 13, 2015

Tutoring Math

My students all know that I do not have ANY confidence when it comes to math.  I always put the number in the wrong spot, put the wrong number in the calculator, add the numbers wrong, confuse my multiplication tables, and write the wrong numbers down.......

The only time Math and I are in a 'Happy Place' is when I get a bigger discount at the register than what I figured.

However, a friend of mine needs some review so I agreed (with no guarantees) to help out.  Well after two weeks he read a math problem, solved it himself, and did the math correctly!!!!





Here are the strategies I gave him:

1.  Use a 'Smart Sheet'.  (A sheet that has the multiplication already done for you)...if you have unlimited time on your test then you will have plenty of time to make one when you first get your test.
2.  If there are two fractions and there in an 'X' in one of the slots....'X' means cross multiply.
3.  Break the word problem into chunks.
4.  Make a story to go with the division process.
5.  Pre-read your answers to see if you can eliminate any of them.
6.  Write BIG.....(we are still working on this one)
7.  Use Quizlet for the formulas.
8.  Margins are great for doing supportive math problems so you aren't confused by doing them in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment