Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Berries and Cooking!

I am in a 'You-Pick' fruit/vegetable land!  Not that I'm a big fan of fruit...but I do love experimenting in the kitchen.

When I was working at my Dad's church I noticed some blackberries...tons of blackberries.  As I was picking the berries some thoughts came to mind:

1.  Why aren't there animals eating this fruit?

2.  If there is a drought in my state, why are the berries so juicy?

3.  What is the difference between a cobbler, crisps, and crumble?

4.  I can't believe these are free!

So far I have picked around 30 cups of blackberries (some might want to call them black caps/black raspberries)....but I have been told by a local that they are blackberries.

 Found out a 'crisp' is a fruit dessert with oats on top.  The blackberries were so sweet that I added some peaches (from the neighbors tree).
 Put a brown sugar/oat mixture on top.  Next time I would use regular oats....these oats were like little balls...didn't care for them.



Decided to make a 'blackberry cobbler' for the church picnic with the blackberries I picked at the church....How cute is that?
Next time I would use a different recipe...this was too dense for me...I want something more like a cake.



I thought I would try my hand at making hamburgers.  

 Apparently, I was suppose to make them flat and large...not small and fat. 
So, my cooking endeavors need a lot of work.......and the quest continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment