Sunday, November 17, 2019

IDA conference

It was wonderful!  I met Barbara Wilson!!!   I could listen to her till the cows come home and then more.  She has made such an impact on Dyslexics around the world.  I will forever be indebted to her program for helping me learn how to read and spell.  I saw this ad for a documentary about educating prison inmate...what if I could bring her program to them?  Maybe that is what I will do when I retire....I highly doubt a job search would come up for Dyslexic Therapist needed in prison reform. Anyway....
Interesting at the conference, when I talked to the researchers after their session they supported Data Based Intervention and when I talked to the Reading therapist after their session they supported Reading Remediation Interventions.  So I'm back to square one at my work...still not knowing what to do.  I wish the schools would let Dyslexics in the school setting to complete remediation to the dyslexic students......RTI for reading incorporates too many students who are low in reading for too many different reasons.
I met a Dyslexic support group from my district and they invited me to their Sunday meeting.  So I feel there is some support but they are so far behind my needs that I don't know how to get the support I need.  They are in talks of providing teachers with accommodations for the LD students.  I want to talk about the different interventions for the LD students.  They want assissted technology in the school system for the LD student.  I want the students to be evaluated so we know what kind of assistant technology best meets their needs.  There needs to be better training.  There needs to be more than just a law....there needs to be accountability.
And so the talks will still continue....and if there is any change...it will be far too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment