Thursday, February 14, 2013

Freshman to Senior

There are pros and cons to teaching freshman.   Pros:   I like that there is a little bit of fear in them because they are the low men on the totem pole.  You impress upon them the importance of certain skills that will help them be successful in the future.  And most of the time they comply because they see the importance or they are too afraid to be defiant.  Cons:  As a teacher you rarely see if the students continue to use those skills throughout their high school experience.  The years pass by and all of a sudden my freshman students are seniors ready to graduate.

Today was special.  One of my old students (a senior) came to me and showed me his notes from his college prep class.  He wanted to let me know that he is still using the skills I taught him from freshman year....the skill of writing margin notes.  And of course I had to take a picture...... a very proud mama of my former student.


No comments:

Post a Comment