Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day of the Dead Mask

Today, I got a four hour nap....just what I needed to get the creative juices flowing.  While I was ordering Day of the Dead sugar skull molds, I found this cute idea on how to make a Day of the Dead mask.  So, I borrowed the idea and here's what happened.

Made a mask template.  Layered four sheets of fabric

Cut and sewed the layers together.  Suppose to 'quilt' them together...I just kept sewing around the mask.

Tried getting a feel for what fabrics look good together.

Cut and sewed the teeth on.  This was time consuming and difficult.

Cut and sewed the hearts on....time consuming.  Super glued the rhinestone/flower sticker.

Sewed the flowers on.  Super glued the stickers onto the flowers.

Cut ribbon and sewed on the back of the mask.

End result.
Not quite sure if I like the mask on.  But I definitely like the mask.  It will be a great way to incorporate cultural style, creativity, and fun for my Spanish classes.  We'll have to celebrate Day of the Dead on Friday November 1st since the 2nd is on a Saturday.  Good thing I got the mask done this weekend.  Next weekend, I'll be making 40 sugar skulls....Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment