Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Learning Curve with Camping- Day 1

Dad and I picked up the kids from the zoo.  They came prepared with their animals and attitudes for adventure.  I imagined a nice camping site close to trails, paved roads for biking, horses, and a relaxing time in my hammock as the forest experience entertained the kids.  The State Forest had something else in mind and forgot to memo me the agenda.


Grampa playing the 'Close your eyes for two minutes...' game.


We get to the Welcome Center and the forest ranger informs me that I have purchased a 'Hike-In Camp Site'....he convinces me that it will be quieter and I convince myself that I am up for an adventure.......yeah, that lasted about 15 minutes.
Dad takes the first load with the cart and I soon get a phone call (from him) that there is this big hill he can't make with all the stuff he is pushing.  So I send mi sobrina to help while I stay with a sleeping sobrino and the campsite map.

Thirty minutes later they have still not found the campsite and I am ready to go home.  But I get a request to bring mi sobrino and some items to the campsite.

Part of the items I was carrying.....

Mi sobrino's one item....we took numerous water breaks.

The hill we had to climb up.....
I look at this next picture and it kinda looks like I got punched in the face and I have a black and blue mark on my cheek...that would be the hike-in camp site kicking my butt. 
Me not happy.....and wondering why the cart isn't coming back.
 Once we got our frustrations out and we calmed down...caught our breath....took some advil....we set up our site and got dinner ready.

I love my new grill!

Hot dogs and Mac-n-Cheese.
Our vegetable was Kale Chips.  I have heard them compared to potato chips.  My mouth was just too confused.
They were not a big hit in our family.

Hammock Boy
 Next, Dad wanted to see a fresh water creek.  So we followed the trail to this mud/insect infested swamp land.... Mi sobrina was the first to get down to the bottom of the trail and told us about a small waterfall.  I got down there and said.....'Water coming out of a metal tube is not a waterfall!"  To which she replied....'It is to a fly'.

How are you going to argue with that....
A fly's waterfall.

Climbing back up to the main trail.
His bat beard.
Sun setting on our walk.
Mi sobrina fell on the way to our campsite.
Our sleeping arrangements.
Next time the boys are bringing their own tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment